Friday, March 17, 2006

Let's Learn About Herzog!


"It is not a significant bullet." - Werner Herzog

The link above will lead you to an article about an incident that happened in February. Why am I posting it now? It still makes me laugh so, so hard.

And who is Werner Herzog, you may ask - well, he is probably one of the most honestly biased documentarians out there. Unlike many documentarians, who attempt to hide their opinions and prejudices behind a facade of "truth," Herzog's opinions flow like water in just about every documentary he's ever made. Nature, to him, is not something cuddly and anthropomorphic, but cruel, mindless, and violent. Unfazed by much of life's hazards, he has tried to move a ship over an extremely muddy and steep mountain, rescued a famous actor from a wrecked car, and eaten his own shoe, as well as dealt with the tempestuous and diva-esque Klaus Kinski. He has also directed feature fiction titles as well (hence the Klaus Kinski in most respects). What I love most about this man is the fact that he is not a slacker, he is an ass-kicker. If you are one of those people who bury yourself in excuses when it comes to why you're not making a film or being creative, he has no time for you. Because, my friend, if you love something - like creation - so incredibly much, there is no excuse. You're merely stalling, afraid of failing, and so trying to protect yourself from criticism. You can be an amazing filmmaker if you've never made a film, but once you've made a film, you are open to scorn and critique. In short, you could quickly discover that you are, in fact, a terrible filmmaker (or artist, or writer, etcetera), and that you should probably stick to dealing out paper bags at the grocery store for the rest of your life.

In brief, most people are cowards. Herzog is not, but he's not being elitist about it - he wants everyone to stop being cowards, and start being human.

Or at least that's my spin on things.

The pic is from a pitch I did today for my Imagineering class, concerning a "library of the (near) future." I actually went to the Imagineering building today to pitch it, and my group was extremely successful! My next post will share more enticing tidbits about the day there. Enjoy.

(On a side note, I know it's not a very polished image, but I sort of adopted a very loose, sketchy style for this project that's pretty reminiscent of my rough story boards) Enough excuses. You like it. ;P

No comments: