Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Photoshop Filter Fun!


This pic is yet another sneak peek into my new Flash website that will be arriving soon! In Photoshop it's a good idea to experiment with filters. While some of the filters appear useless (who is actually ever going to mosaic anything? Ugh.), many look pretty good. With this image I used gaussian blur, blur, film grain, and a few others. In order to extract the filtery goodness, I rarely use multiple filters on one layer, but make many copies of the layer I like, then apply a filter to each - deleting and correcting as I see fit. In order to combine layers, I usually fuss with the opacity of a specific layer, or its layer properties, until I come up with a combination that appeals to me. That's it: all my secrets have been revealed.

Today is actually not going very well, so I'm distracting myself with a lot of work. Dad's back in for surgery, and here I am in California, feeling hopeless and utterly useless. So I'm trying to get everything ready for finals next week, and ignore the futility that keeps returning. Life is often like that, though, isn't it? We bury ourselves in blankets of distractions, hoping to somehow make living tolerable and devoid of emotional messiness. I know this post is kind of a downer, but I'm not really depressed - anxious, certainly, and a little melancholy - but optimistic in a strained way, too. When life is crap, things generally get better. I'm a firm believer in that, and it's a proven belief, tested and tried and true.

Well, this is very philosophical and all, but I'm going to go back to work.

No comments: