Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What I'm Reading


I'm a pretty omnivorous reader, and so in the middle of my job search/portfolio work I thought I'd share what books have been on my mind (and in my bag) lately.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke - A beautiful novel set in Duke Wellington's England where magic is both malevolent and malnourished, reawakening in a land that has long deserted the principles of English magic's proponent, the Raven King. A great, easy read that I've been savoring for a month or so, simply because I hate leaving a compelling Victorian world.

The Were-Wolf by Clemence Housman - A short novel/novella where the werewolf is actually a female. The piece is primarily religious allegory, but exciting and interesting for its own merit. Published in 1896, I read a version off of my Kindle.

Black God's Kiss by C.L. Moore - Sword and sandal fare with a blend of the supernatural, the supreme female protagonist Jirel faces off with all sorts of beasties in this collection of short stories.

A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett - This is a re-read for me, but I felt compelled to return to England (perhaps Mr. Strange took me by the hand to lead me there) where a Cinderella-type story simmers in the well-done atmosphere of a moody, bleak boarding school. This is also traveling via my Kindle.

All of them are heartily recommended - Black God's Kiss is especially delicious if you've been missing some pulp in your fare.

No comments: