Monday, September 12, 2011

We're Having Soup Today




Pretty recently I was experimenting with Liquitex Pouring Medium and some soft body acrylic paints. Over the course of my experiments, I kinda sorta fell in love with the medium. No, I'm not paid by Liquitex in any form - this is a genuine love story.

See how wet those paintings look? They are actually dry. The pouring medium turns paint into this glistening, kinky stuff that looks absolutely lovely at the end of the day. You merely mix it with your desired acrylic hue and then manipulate it any way you please. I used plastic bottles to squirt the canvas, of course there are extra elements included.

The darker painting was done with a lot of underpainting - I thinly painted some of the pouring medium elements on top of a piece that I sketched out with unmixed soft body hues. The painting with a lot of red in it includes some collage elements from papers I had around the house.

I definitely want to perform further experiments with the pouring medium in the future - it's easy to work with, and gorgeous when it's done.

As for the title? It's from this awesome show. Plus, I really am making soup for dinner tonight. Plus, the pouring medium makes me think of soup.

No comments: